Friday, July 8, 2011

A Friday First

And how is this for irony? My first time participating in Fitness Friday & Fitness Fridays (Life... As I See It) & (Sparkles and Bugs), and here I sit shaking off the remnants of a summer flu - feeling decidedly unfit.

Paid my fees on Monday for the September marathon, and for a kayaking course this weekend only to come down with a fever after Tuesday's run. I've been spinning my wheels since. My training schedule is completely off-track and I am fighting the ridiculous, but insidious, thought that four days of illness will unravel a year of hard work.

That's how I stumbled on Life... As I See It.  Trying to find inspiration and a reminder that this is real life, not a project wrapped in parenthesis. A colleague of mine with MS said once that she has been sidelined for a few months due to an injury, but it was okay because she runs for life, not for any particular race. I'm trying to keep that in mind.

I figure this is as good a place as any to introduce myself since I don't have an about page on this blog. I am a writer and a teacher, most of the time in that order. I am a 45 year-old woman and not the kind who will make statements like I'm turning 29 (or 39) for the 6th or 16th time. I'm proud of (most of) what I have done with my life since I turned 29. I wouldn't disown those years any more than I would disown my two teenage boys.

In the last 16 years I have worked as a freelance writer, a massage therapist, a yoga instructor, a teacher and for a humanitarian organization. The latter, long enough to realize working against politics means eventually working with politics.

I have a vested interest in mental health issues and (reasonable) holistic approaches to life. I don't believe in magic: not magic-thinking, magic-words, magic-shoes etc.  I am trying to improve my nutrition and exercise habits without becoming an amateur scientist.

While stretched on the couch, next to an ever-growing pile of used tissues, I have been blog-jumping, looking for inspiration and role models. What disappointed me was the motivational imagery out there: twenty-somethings with Photoshopped skin. Or fifty-somethings with nips and tucks and more money than original bone structure.

Okay, yeah, I want to look "hot". (Obviously one gets too old to comfortably use the word "hot" before one gets too old to be vain). But even Cindy Crawford doesn't look like Cindy Crawford. I am looking for real women who have it all. And by that I don't mean personal trainers and professional stylists.

I mean women who have to face days on the couch with an ever-growing pile of snot rags, and no one to clean up after them, or help them dehydrate to the point of svelte before their next public appearance: women who are healthy role models for other real women.

You out there?

13 comments:

  1. I'm as real as you get...kids, carpools, cook, clean, laundry, work. I'm also 43 and the happiest and healthiest I've ever been! I've seen the video and find it fabulous that Cindy Crawford said how much she would, "love to look like Cindy Crawford."

    Like most runners I have the hardest time with not being able to run due to injury. I love "I run for life. Not for a particular race." Awesome and something I need to remember.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    Truly enjoy your writing style! Thanks for linking up with FF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found you! I love so much of what you've written here! Yes, run for life, what a great way to look at it, especially during the down times. I just went back to school to take more writing classes and I too am proud of my age! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have to say! I'm 38 and very prooud of it. I feel like the older I get, the better things go. It may have something to do with that older/wiser thing that everyone's always talking about!

    I love the 'running for life' that you are talking about. Perfect. I need to remember that more often. I get caught up in counting miles most of the time.

    And, do tell more about your kayaking class you were going to take. I would LOVE to do something like that. I've been a couple of times and would like to try it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for the internet! Who knew there were so many of us like-minded souls out there! I'm 44 (and proud of it!), the mother of three very energetic children and a fitness professional who still struggles with exercise and nutrition. Glad to have found your blog and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how real you are and how proud you are of your age!! I have struggled with excursive and nutrition for a while and started blogging so that i can get more real with the changes I need to make. I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for the comments. I have been going back and forth about writing another blog and am now glad I've committed to it. I am looking forward to all the hopping and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! You *have* accomplished a lot and should be very proud! And, I'm also participating in Fitness Friday after having one of the most disappointing running weeks since I had my daughter... so I feel your pain (I've been sick this week too).

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more! Hope you feel better soon!

    Sarah
    http://uberlibrariana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to get to know you,i hope your feeling better soon and that horrible flu goes quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you feel better soon. I love your honesty in your blog. Thanks for checking out my blog and yes I do have a recipe for the Green Monster smoothie. Check out yesterday's post for my version or just google Green Monster smoothie and you will find tons of variations. Looking forward to reading more from you. http://EndlessJubilee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you feel better soon! It can be so frustrating to be sidelined by illness.

    The idea of realness, with the 24 hour media cycle and reality tv, can be hard to find. Embracing it in your own life can be a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm here for you!!!

    momshomerun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Following from Jill's blog hop! Love your honesty!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this Post! I also worry that it will be so hard for me to get back into my running after I get my tonsils out this Wednesday...yikes!! It's going to set me back for weeks :) Wish me luck with that..haha, and I hope you get better soon. You are awesome. Thanks so much for linking up with my "fitness friday." I hope you link up again. Thanks!
    www.sparklesandbugs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete