Tuesday, August 2, 2011

As Good A Time As Any

It isn't Wednesday or Friday. It isn't even the first of the month. But staring at the pile of clothing and ... things... in the basement, it is clear this is as good a time as any to begin my consumerist fast.

The pledge: I will not purchase anything for myself beyond food and hygiene products until January 2, 2012.

I would take it further if my children were grown and didn't have birthdays coming up.

This is not going to be easy since - at this moment - I am remembering that I am heading to New York in October. A theater ticket doesn't count, right? I mean, my battle here is with things, not experiences.

Oh, crap. What have I gotten myself into?

4 comments:

  1. Wait... Not even books or music?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! When I look at how much crap I have, I should probably do something similar. Strange how the stuff just keeps piling up, isn't it! Looking forward to hearing how this experience will be for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kris - yes, the books thing is going to be a huge problem - music, not so much. But I honestly have dozens of books I bought earlier this year I haven't yet read. ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? A consumerist fast? Interesting and challenging concept. I'm going to enjoy following you on this endeavor :)

    ReplyDelete